The Alten Handball Foundation was founded in 2003, and is the brainchild of lifelong handball player Irv Alten. The Foundation’s primary purpose is to advance the sport of handball in the Pacific Northwest and across the United States.
The initial board consisted of Irv, Rocky Benevento, Ed Grossenbacher, Steve Grow and Jeff Jasperson. Over the next ten years, the foundation supported multiple USHA National Events, as well as, providing funding for young up and coming players.We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished so far.
- Supported players to attend the two World Handball Championships in Calgary and Minneapolis.
- Supported players to multiple National Championships.
- Support most all handball tournaments played in the Pacific Northwest.
- Significant support to Pacific University for both local tournaments, as well as, national events.
- Supported college players from University of Oregon and Lane Community College to the Collegiate Nationals.
- Support the Sheldon High School Program in Eugene, Oregon
- Support the Hood Christian High School Program in Hood River, Oregon
- Created three One Wall Courts in Portland, Oregon
- Provided 50% funding for the rehabilitation of the two Three Wall Courts in Salem, Oregon
Foundation founders include Rocky Benevento, Ed Grossenbacher and Irv Alten.